sinking lawn - Knowledgebase Question

pittsburgh, Pe
Question by lisa5384
I have patches of my lawn that are sinking. i have found very small holes, but not many, too small for a snake I think and no sign of mole tunnels. The grass is not dead but looks damaged. It seems worse when it rains. Any ideas what to treat the lawn with?

0

You may be dealing with ground nesting wasps which construct tunnels and caverns underground, or there are grubs underground and the holes are from birds pecking at the lawn to access the grubs. The only way to tell is to dig out a section of the affected lawn, along with the roots of the grass. Inspect the roots for grubs or other insects and check the soil for signs of underground tunnels or nests. Once you know what you're dealing with you can treat your lawn with an insecticide or a grub control product. After you've controlled the pest problem you can raise the low spots by spreading a half inch of topsoil over them, allowing the grass to grow up through the topsoil, then adding more topsoil (in half-inch increments) and allowing the grass to grow up through each layer of topsoil. Eventually the low spots will be the same level as the rest of the lawn. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"