transplanting time? - Knowledgebase Question

windsor, Ca
Question by cheerstoyou
Hi;
I have planted a new landscape and have some russian sage that has been starting to flower about 1-2 weeks and the plant is about 3 mos. old and about 3'wide and 2.5'tall. It is too big for the area and I want to transplant it to my backyard. Is it ok to do that now? I don't want to disturb it. It has been in the 50's at night and 75-85 degrees in the hottest time of day.
Thanks so much! Trish

0

If you move your Russian Sage while it is flowering it will probably stop flowering for the remainder of the year. Why not wait a few weeks until no more new flowers are produced and move it then? This way it will have all fall and winter to settle in and it won't skip a beat in terms of flowering. Russian sage can grow to huge proportions but it takes well to pruning. We usually prune them way back each spring, just as new growth begins, and they respond with healthy and happy new growth. So, my advice is to wait until October to move your plant and then in March, when new growth is evident, prune it back by one half to two thirds. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"