Preparing for fall - Knowledgebase Question

capitol heigths, Ma
Question by manuelosorio
dear Expert: I live in Providence, RI: I haave some tropical plants in my outdoor garden ( In pots) coffee,avocado, banananas, plantain.Since trees around are getting yellow leaves, SHOULD I PUT THEM INDOORS NOW, BEFORE THE FALL PROCESS TAKE THEM? and can you explain me how is the yelowing and fall process ? its not exactly the could since the process started already?. THANKS SOME MUCH.Manuel

0

In general, tropical plants love being oudoors during the summertime. As long as both the day and nighttime temperatures are above 55F, they will be happy outside. If the nighttime temperatures dip below 55F, they can suffer damage. All your plants are considered evergreen and should not lose all their leaves all at once, but you should expect the older leaves to eventually turn yellow and drop. These will be replaced with healthy new leaves on your coffee and avocado trees. Your banana and plantain will not replace the lower, older leaves but you can cut them off the plants when they turn yellow. It's a little early in the season for weather to cause yellowing leaves so I wonder if your plants are showing some stress from overwatering? Too much water can suffocate the roots and yellowing leaves is a prime symptom of overly wet soils. Be sure to allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings. If your nighttime temperatures are reaching 55F, it's time to move your plants indoors. When you do, reduce watering. Your plants won't grow quite as actively indoors and won't need to be watered as frequently as you water them now. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"