Filling a 1000sq ft garden w/ 3 season color - Knowledgebase Question

riverton, Ne
Question by kimmer_104
Hi! Im in So.NJ & have a 1000sqft area ready for planting & am not sure how to go about it to have 3 season color. Im planting tulip, daff, crocus, hycanith bulbs in Oct. When & how do I plant the summer plants (I prefer perennials, grasses, vines) & the fall stuff (mums, kale) around the spring bulbs? Can I wait until spring? How much space do I leave bt bulbs? Where do I place the walkways? Thx!

0

With such a large garden, you'll probably want to start in one section and work your way around and through the rest of the garden. Spring blooming bulbs are a good place to start and they should be planted in September or October. I think bulbs look best when they are planted in drifts or groups rather than lined up like soldiers or interplanted with one another. So give this a thought before planting. Once you've decided on a planting pattern, go ahead and plant your bulbs using the guidelines on the label or handout for depth and spacing. You can plant near the bulbs or you can plant annuals directly over the bulbs. The bulbs will grow through annuals such as alyssum, pansies and impatiens or other tender, spreading plants and you'll have a succession of color in the spring. You can plant cool season plants such as primroses, ornamental kale, mums, snapdragons and sweetpeas in September after you've installed the bulbs. Warm season perennials should be planted in the springtime and that's when you'll have the best selection in the garden center. In the meantime, check out a few garden design books from your local library or visit your local cooperative extension office for lists of plants recommended for your growing region. I'm sure you'll find more plants to include than you have room in your garden. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"