citrus tree mulching - Knowledgebase Question

South Miami, Fl
Question by prdisney3
I have a hamlin orange tree and a meyer lemon tree. What's the expert advice about placing mulch around these trees?

0

There are two schools of thought about mulching beneath citrus trees: According to Florida State University "Since citrus has shallow roots, mulching is not recommended as it can increase the chance of infection by soil borne fungi which cause root rot." The other side argues that a lightweight mulch such as compost or shredded leaves will help keep the soil cool, slow evaporation, and suppress weeds. With that said, I have a 3 inch layer of shredded bark beneath my citrus trees and they are thriving. As long as you keep any mulch material a few inches away from the trunk of the tree, an organic mulch should be beneficial to your trees.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"