Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Jourdanton, Te
Question by nlhannah26
We planted some fruit trees the leaves began turning brown. Near by nursery said we were not watering deep enough, tried that. Trees began getting new leaf growth but now those leaves are turning brown and a couple trees look like they are dying. Here is my question. Our well water is high in Sodium Chloride would this get in the soil enough to cause this, if so what can I do?

0

Water with a high salt content can affect tree growth but if other shrubs and trees in your landscape are growing well, the water may not be the problem. If trees get too much sodium the margins of the leaves can turn crispy. Deep watering is important for two reasons. First, it encourages deep root growth which makes trees and shrubs less affected by seasonal droughts. And, as the water percolates down to the root system, the soil will naturally filter out some of the salts. So, as long as you water deeply, the salt in your water should not adversely affect your new trees. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with your trees because I don't have the opportunity to examine the leaves. New growth is encouraging, but browning of that new growth concerns me. How about taking a few samples into your cooperative extension office for help with diagnosis, and suggestions for controlling the problem? Master Gardener volunteers or the county horticultural agent should be able to help. Contact Atascosa County Extension Office, 1003 Oak St, Jourdanton, TX 78026
Phone: 830-769-3066. Good luck with your new trees.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"