Peach Tree and it's fruit. - Knowledgebase Question

Randolph, Ma
Question by cquiton
We've had a peach tree growing in our yard for about 7-8 yrs, it was planted by the prev. owners. I didn't know it was a peach tree until last year when the fruit started falling. There is a lot of fruit, they are diseased with black spots and have brown rot. I assume they are unsafe to eat. Is it too late to save this tree and its fruit for the next growing season? What do I need to do?

0

What you describe sounds like brown rot which is a fungal disease. While parts of the fruits are edible you'll want to cut away the damaged portions before consuming the peaches. To avoid the problem next year be sure to rake up all the fallen fruit and leaves at the end of the season. Next spring you can apply a series of protective sprays to keep the tree and the fruit healthy. You can use Captan, Fixed coppers (Kocide, Procop), or Funginex, according to label directions to keep your peach tree disease free next year.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"