Tulips not blooming - Knowledgebase Question

CHICAGO, Il
Question by imsnowglobe
My tulips are coming back during the spring (at least the stems are) but they are not blooming. Is there something I am suppose to do so that they bloom?

0

Tulips can refuse to bloom if they are overcrowded or if you cut off the leaves before the die down on their own. If your tulips have been planted in the same spot for 3 or more years, you might try digging them up this fall, amending the soil with some compost or other organic matter, and then replanting, giving each about 6" of space. Before setting the bulbs in the holes, sprinkle in a tablespoon of bonemeal. Plant each bulb 4-5" deep. They should bloom for you next spring. Be sure to allow the leave to age and die back on their own. If you cut off the green leaves, the bulbs won't have enough stored energy to flower the following year. Hope your tulips bloom beautifully for you next spring!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"