best way to not have grass grow around my garden? - Knowledgebase Question

charlotte, No
Question by flower2robin
ok here is my problem..I have a small area...i planted an above groud veg garden...then on either side i dug a hole and planted a few bushes...now i am worried bout the grass growing around the area i planted all these things...what is the best way to prevent that? I was thinking about placing stones around and hoping that would work? is there affortable way to do this. thanks robin

0

The best way to keep weeds out is to shade the soil from the sunshine. You can use weed barrier landscape fabric, several thicknesses of newspaper, cardboard, or most any other material over the soil to keep sunlight from penetrating the soil. Lay one of the above materials down between your plants and then cover over with decorative rocks, shredded bark, rubberized mulch, etc. An alternative is to apply a corn gluten meal pre emergent herbicide over the soil around your shrubs to keep weeds from growing. I wouldn't put it directly in the veggie garden, though, because it might stunt the growth of your veggies. Some brand names include: Corn Weed Blocker, Weed Ban, Dyna weed, Concern, Barricade, Dimension.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"