potted caladium - Knowledgebase Question

pittsburgh, Pe
Question by bugragtop
I have a large potted caladium, that seems to be only holding it's own, not thriving.
I've gotten quite a few new shoots but most seem to be whithering quickly. the larger shoots don't look too bad, but I've also lost several of them.
The plant gets indirect sun and am trying not to water too much. The plant is just not filling out, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

0

Caladiums are generally carefree bulbs so I'm not sure why yours is failing to thrive. They love bright shade - an hour or two of filtered morning sun should suit them, as well. The soil should be moist but not soggy wet and your caladium should be fed with a half strength water soluable fertilizer every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. Aside from this minimal care, caladiums love warm days and warm nights. When nighttime temperatures begin to cool off, their leaves will begin to yellow and die. It may be that they were planted too deeply (plant the tubers only 2 inches deep), or that they are water stressed. Although they like moist soil, the soil needs to drain quickly and you should allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings. I hope this information will help you determine just what's going on with your caladiums.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"