Shriveled blossoms on impatiens - Knowledgebase Question

Rosedale, Ma
Question by Phlelady2
Can you please tell me what may cause the head of my impatiens, to shrivel and stop producing blossoms? Could it be grubs, or overwatering? This is occurring in both the in-ground plants, as well as those in baskets.

0

What you describe sounds like botrytis blight, which is common to impatiens.
Botrytis blight is a fungus that attacks the plant?s flowers and buds. It is also called gray mold. Flower buds turn brown and won?t open. Flowers that have already bloomed also turn brown and become covered with a gray growth of fungus. This fungus also appears on the leaves.

To control botrytis blight, prune to remove all infected impatiens leaves and buds. You can use scissors or pruners to cut away any dead or dying sections. If this happens year after year, you can spray your plants with a copper based fungicide early in the season when they are small - about 6 inches tall. This is a preventative spray and should help keep them healthy all season long.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"