forget me nots - Knowledgebase Question

lawndale, Ca
Question by anaidlb1
i have a forget me not that i just pulled the leaves out of, planted it in the spring so they are not going to give flowers the first year, but looking at it, the roots look black and havent been watering it because the soil looks wet still. is it dead? or is there something i can do? or is it normal?
i did spray a wasp poison on it, was told it was ok for it, a few days ago,because it had spiders

0

Things don't sound good for your plant! To begin with, a wasp spray really isn't suitable for application directly on a plant and to complicate matters, it isn't registered for use against spiders. The oil in the spray can kill the leaves of your forget me not. I'm not sure why you pulled the leaves off the plant - were they dead? Black roots usually indicate a root rot. Soil that remains too wet can suffocate roots and cause them to die. If you want to grow forget me nots, I'd strongly recommend planting them in soil that drains quickly. You can mix compost or other organic matter into the soil to help it drain fast so the roots won't develop rot. In general, wasps and spiders are beneficial in the garden. They visit plants to get a drink of nectar or to capture other insects for a meal. Spraying your plants with a wasp control really isn't a good idea. You can chase the wasps and spiders away by simply hosing off your plants with plain water. I'm not sure your plant will survive so you'll want to either plant new seeds (you can plant them now), or wait until next spring and purchase healthy new plants. Good luck with your garden.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"