Yellowing leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Cave Creek, Ar
Question by kljranch
I have a chinese elm that is about 8 years old and has been doing really well. I noticed over the last couple of weeks that its leaves are turning light yellow and the ends are turning brown. I changed to a new watering system with a drip system for 2 hours every 5 days. Is it getting too much water since I also had a ground cover around it that also created extra water. How often to water.

0

I wish there were an easy answer to your question but how often you want really depends upon the sizes of the emitters you have on your system. In general, a tree will need about 4 gallons of water per day, but that doesn't mean you need to water every day, just that the tree will use that amount of moisture. If you are watering every 5 days, you'll want to provide 20 gallons of water to your tree. So, if you're using a 2 GPH emitter, you'll need to run the water for 10 hours; if you're using a 2 GPM emitter, you'll only need to run the water for 10 minutes. You might want to check your local library for publications from ASU about low water use gardening (they're free). They contain tons of information about setting up drip systems and determining how often to run them depending upon the number of emitters each tree or plant has and how much water are coming from those emitters. Hope you find it helpful.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"