Termites on my Pine tree - Knowledgebase Question

Kemah, Te
Question by CELIASCHLEH
I found some small round holes in my pine tree and I think it has termites, it's also turning yellow.
How do I treat it. Do I have to cut it?
I have 2 other pine trees near and do not want them to be afected too.

0

I suspect your tree has problems with borers and what you are seeing are the larvae. Wood-boring insects often produce sawdust-like frass (excrement). Their holes are normally round, oval or semicircular and are found in a random pattern on the trunk or limb. Before doing anything you'll want to take a sample of the insect pests you see to your local extension office for positive identification. Just pull or scrape a few of them out and place them in a sealable plastic bag. Helpful folks at the extension office can identify them and suggest control strategies. Contact Galveston County extension, 3330 Old Spanish Trail, Houston - (713) 440-4900

Good luck with your pine tree.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"