Boston Fern - Knowledgebase Question

McHenry, Il
Question by lr71
The leaves on my boston fern turn black and fall off. What am I doing wrong? I have them in my foyer. I did have them on my front porch and they did fine but as soon as they come in, they get dried out.

0

I can't really tell from your description whether what you are seeing are rows of spores on the backsides of the ferns (normal) or you're finding scale insects (dark brown bumps), or if there's a population of aphids feeding on the fronds and leaving a black substance (called sooty mold). Another problem might be overwatering which is causing the fronds to die at the base of the plant. You'll want to remove the affected leaves, then give your boston fern a shower (use tepid water) to remove any hitchhiking insect pests. Be sure to water thoroughly but allow the top of the soil to barely dry out before watering again. Hope this information helps you determine just what's going on with your plant!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"