Gardening problems - Knowledgebase Question

Nashua, Ne
Question by ckf0130
I have a milky white substance on my zucchini and peony leaves. They are not close to each other. Any clues?

Also - I have irises planated but I usually only get leaves - no flowers. Suggestions?

Thanks.

0

A milky white substance can indicate sap and might be due to an injury, perhaps from insect feeding. You'll have to do some further investigation to see if you can find insects or wounds from a physical injury. A powdery white substance, one that is dry to the touch indicates a fungal disease (powdery mildew). Since it's close to the end of the growing season the best approach is to prune off the affected foliage from your peony and remove the zucchini plants from your garden.

Irises can fail to bloom if they are overcrowded and/or not getting enough sunshine. I'd dig and divide the irises, spacing them about 6" apart when you replant.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"