Summer-Fall Veggies - Knowledgebase Question

valrico, Fl
Question by sammiejoedog
I live in tampa, FL & recently planted a tomato plant. However, the plant's flowers don't even open or do anything. I see the small yellow bud one day, then the next, it's gone. Plus, the leaves towards the bottom are turning brown but the other leaves are still green however curling at the edges. I think it may be nematodes. If so, can I save it still? The pant is about 2.5 feet high.
-Josh

0

When temperatures are above 90F the pollen your tomato flowers develop can be rendered sterile which means it cannot pollinate the female parts of the flower. About the only remedy is to wait until temperatures cool down a bit later this month. It's not unusual for the lowest, oldest tomato plant leaves to turn yellow then die. Simply pull them off your plant and new leaves will take their places. Curling leaves can be a reaction to the weather, to inconsistent soil moisture, or an overabundance of fertilizer in the soil - or it could indicate feeding by aphids or other insects. Nematodes can damage the roots and cause knobby growths. If you think nematodes are the problem you may want to try planting your tomato plants in a container and using potting soil rather than garden soil. Hope your tomato plants recover!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"