old bulbs? - Knowledgebase Question

Columbus, Oh
Question by kistyles1980
Last fall I planted darwin hybrid tulips,lily flowering tulips and gladiolus tropical blend bulbs and none of them came up. I think that i might have planted them too deep. I picked them back out in tact, Im curious if i can try and plant them again. i dont think they have any roots on them. Can i still plant them?

0

Bulbs are essentially storage organs but the carbohydrates deplete with time and if the bulbs do not grow foliage to help manufacture and transport carbohydrates back into the bulbs, there's little hope that the bulbs are healthy enough to replant. I'd toss them and start all over with healthy new bulbs. Now is the time to find the best choices in the garden center so why not pick up some new bulbs and plant them at the correct depth (usually twice as deep as they are wide). Next spring your efforts will be rewarded with lots of flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"