black spots on oak/ white mold on dogwood - Knowledgebase Question

Gainesville, Fl
Question by sabdim2003
How can I treat black spots on some of the oak leaves-the new leaves are healthy but the ones that were there all summer developed black spots- what should I do? Also, I noticed this year white mold/white stuff on our small, under 2 feet dogwood tree that we planted 2 seasons ago. What I can I do to stop that from reoccurring and to stimulate growth on dogwood? Thanks in advance for all your help!

0

The black spots on the oak leaves sounds like a fungal disease. The affected leaves will fall off the tree. When they do, rake and remove them from the landscape. If the weather is not quite so wet next spring, the new leaves should be healthy.

A white coating on the leaves of your dogwood is probably powdery mildew. This is a fungal disease and some dogwoods are more susceptible than others to the disease. The affected leaves will fall from the tree. Be sure to rake and remove them from the landscape. Next spring when the new leaves begin to emerge you can apply a protective fungicide to them. This should keep them disease free next year. Be sure to follow label directions.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"