lawn care - Knowledgebase Question

Gahanna, Oh
Question by chuckdoz1
We installed a new sod lawn in our front yard in April. There was a large tree we had taken out about six years ago right in the middle of the lawn. Ever since the tree was removed we have these large hard clumps of some type of a fungus growing out of the lawn from the roots of the tree. Is there anything I can put on the lawn that will prevent their growth?

0

The mushrooms are growing because of the decomposing organic matter (tree roots) beneath your lawn. There's really not much you can do other than to dig out the tree roots. You can sometimes eliminate mushrooms growing from organic matter by applying nitrogen fertilizer at a rate of 1 pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn. I've found, though, that as long as the roots are decomposing, mushrooms will grow. Wish I had another solution for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"