Wormy Geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

Carlsbad, Ca
Question by raf7oaks
Aren' ivy geraniums generally pest resistant? My 5 large patio rail containers get attacked yearly by pocket, bud, leaf miner worms or catapillares. My local Home Depot garden guy said to spray with a bacteriological. But I am wondering, how have I ruined the plants natural immunity to make this necessary? Should I replace the soil? How can I prevent rather than treat this problem?

0

Ivy geraniums can sometimes be bothered by bud worms and leaf miners and once a population is present, you'll have a difficult time controlling the larvae without routinely spraying with Dipel or Thuricide - or by disposing of the plants and the potting soil and cleaning out your containers with hot water and a soapy bleach solution. Otherwise, eggs and pupae can hide in the plants and in the soil, and even under or in small cracks in the containers. Wish I had a better solution for you.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"