Hard Soil (Durham, NC) - Knowledgebase Question

Durham, No
Question by akidagain
I am starting to reseed my lawn. Did a Ph test on it. came back between 6,0-6.5. I am assuming that the soil needs lime. By adding lime will this make the soil softer or what do I need t do

0

Most lawn grasses perform best at a reaction between pH 6.5 and pH 7.0. Yours is slightly acidic so applying lime will help with the pH. Since lime also increases bacterial activity it will help organic matter decompose more rapidly and help induce favorable soil structure. With improved structure, the soil becomes more porous, increasing air circulation and the ability of the soil to absorb and hold moisture. Lime takes a few months to work its magic so applying it to your lawn in the fall will give it ample time to work before the new spurt of growth in the spring.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"