Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

commack, Ne
Question by jimmargs
My lawn is spreading with straw color patches. I've applied insect killer in July & grub killer in July & August. It looked great in June. It is taking over our front lawn.How do I take care of this problem We do water.Where it is shaded it looks good.

0

You may discover that the dry patches are cool season grasses that are dormant because of hot summer weather. They may green up when the weather cools. However, if the lawn has been green during the summer months up until this year, you may be dealing with a fungal disease, the soil may be compacted and as a result the water you apply is running off instead of penetrating down, or you may have a thick layer of thatch that is shedding water. I can't really diagnose the problem without actually seeing your lawn so the next best thing is to dig a patch, roots and all and take it into a Master Gardener Clinic, Cooperative Extension office, or well staffed nursery for help with diagnosis. Helpful folks there can determine just what the problem might be and can suggest control measures. I hope your lawn recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"