Hydrangeas Not Blooming - Knowledgebase Question

scituate, Ma
Question by gpattygartle
my hydrangeas have big green leaves but never bloomed. Every fall my husband cuts them back even though I tell him not to. What are we doing wrong?

0

Big leaf hydrangeas and the types of hydrangeas that bloom on old wood. (Stems are called "old wood" if they have been on the hydrangea since the summer before the current one.) Since big leaf hydrangeas bloom on old wood, if your plants consistently freeze down to ground level each year, or your husband prunes them back each fall, they may never produce flowers because there will be no old wood on which new blooming stems can develop. You may want to replace them with a type that blooms on both old and new wood. Endless Summer is one such hydrangea and grows wonderfully well in your gardening zone and it will bloom reliably each year no matter when it is pruned. Hope this information helps solve the mystery of your non-blooming hydrangeas.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"