Penstemon Red Variety - Knowledgebase Question

Sandusky, OH
Question by ez4u6
Need to have any info you can give me on the above plant. Where to plant, also is it a perennial and is it invasive?
Would like to plant it in my garden to bring in hummingbirds. I live in zone 5 and have sunny as well as shady locations in the yard.

0

The Penstemon family includes sub-shrubs, perennials, and annuals. Red, perennial varieties include Penstemon barbatus (syn. Chelone barbata - "Beard Lip Penstemon") and Penstemon digitalis "Husker's Red". The first, is hardy to zones 3-9, and should be grown in well drained soil in a sunny locale. It will reach approximately 3' in height with a spread of approximately 12". Not considered invasive. The latter has the same zone recommendation, light requirement, and growing requirements, and will reach a height of approximately 30", and a spread of 24". Also, not invasive.