Apple tree pests - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I have an apple tree in my backyard but have never gotten a good crop of apples because the moths and their worms get to them all the time. What can I use to get rid of the moths and prevent them from placing their eggs on my apple tree? Thank you

0

In order to grow a bumper crop of healthy apples, you should put your tree on a regular spraying schedule, which starts in late winter with horticultural oil. To avoid diseases, your apple trees can be sprayed with Bordeaux (lime-sulfur). This fungicide must be applied early and thoroughly to protect new growth. Apply according to label directions; as the buds break until the leaves are fully expanded. Do this at prepink, pink, calyx, and first cover. Since the fungus overwinters in fallen leaves and fruit, be sure to thoroughly clean up and dispose of plant debris in the fall months. Horticultural oil is effective against overwintering scale insects and insect eggs and should be applied in the winter. It is sold as dormant spray. To take care of other insects on apple trees, Fertilome Triple Action, Ortho Home Orchard Spray, or Bonide Fruit Tree Spray will help control apple maggots, plum curculio and rosy apple aphid. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"