zucchini and tomatos - Knowledgebase Question

Commerce City, Co
Question by rlbanes75
My zucchini and summer squash plants have what appears to be mildew. What causes this and what can I do?
My tomato plants have been infested with affids I am not sure why this happened how can I avoid this next year.

0

Powdery mildew fungi spread quickest when the humidity is high and temperatures are between 50F and 90F. To discourage the disease, plant on sites with good air drainage, give the plants plenty of space, water during the morning only, and allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Remove any affected leaves, and if your plant is heavily covered with powdery mildew you should probably remove the entire plant so the infection doesn't spread. For heavy infestations of powdery mildew, sulfur or copper sprays can be applied weekly, starting in June in your area. These include: sulfur, neem oil (Rose Defense, Shield-All, Triact), triforine (Ortho Funginex), or potassium bicarbonate (Kaligreen, First Step). Aphids love new growth on most any plant. You can simply hose the pests off with a strong stream of water from the hose or you can control them with applications of insecticidal soap (Safer's Insecticidal Soap or similiar brands). Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"