cold winter ? - Knowledgebase Question

34669, Fl
Question by gparker59
I LIVE IN FLORIDA ALWAYS HAVE. THIS PAST WINTER WAS THE COLDEST I HAD SEEN IN YEARS AND WAS WONDERING IF THIS COULD BE THE REASON SOME OF MY PLANTS DID NOT PUT ON FLOWERS THIS YEAR? CREPE MYRTLE,HONEYSUCKLE SOME ARE STILL BEAUTIFULLY FULL OTHERS ARE NOT- THE BUSHES LOOK GOOD JUST NO BLOOMS AND I USED THE SAME FERTILIZER AS USUAL ANY HELP APRECIATED

0

I suspect you are right - unusually cold weather can stress plants and keep them from performing as usual. It can stop plant growth and can kill flower buds, especially on those plants that bloom early in the year such as your crape myrtles. You're lucky the plants are still growing! Many gardeners lost lots of established trees and shrubs last winter. Since your shrubs and trees look good and are growing well you should expect them to flower on schedule for you next year. There is an advantage to having an exceptionally cold winter once in a while - the cold temperatures can control insect populations and some disease pathogens, which can be a good thing. Hope your garden recovers soon and rewards you with lots of colorful blooms!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"