I've never done any gardening before but my wife wants color in our apt patio - Knowledgebase Question

Brea, Ca
Question by robmoreno23
So my question is, besides water is there anything Gerbera Daisy's and Freesias need to survive? I've been watering every other day or every 2 days but I've killed 2 of her daises and I don't want to kill anymore! And I think the freesia is dying too because I haven't seen it bloom lately and the leaves are turning brown.

0

It's difficult to judge when a plant needs water and for this reason, containerized plants are more susceptible to root rot from too much water. The best advice I can offer is to thoroughly water the plants and then pick up each of the containers to get a feel for how heavy they are when the soil is saturated. Then wait 2-3 days and pick them up again. If they still feel heavy, you won't need to water for another day or two; if they feel lightweight (or if the foliage is beginning to droop), it's time to water. Hot weather and/or actively growing plants will need watering more often so you can't really water on your own schedule - instead, take your cue from the plants. The problem with overwatering is that constantly saturated soils will be deplete of oxygen and since plant roots need oxygen as well as moisture, they can actually suffocate when the soil remains too moist. So, try adjusting the watering and I think you'll see a big improvement in the performance of your gerbera daisies and your freesias.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"