crab grass & clover - Knowledgebase Question

Brookhaven, Pe
Question by tombello
I would like to kill the crab grass and clover (red and green) before I re-seed for the winter. Is this recommended? If so, howmuch time before I re-seed after spraying?

0

You can apply Ortho Chickweed and Clover control now to take care of the clover but crabgrass is not so easy to control. It is an annual weed, though, and will die out this winter. However, it will leave lots of seeds behind and these seeds will be ready to sprout early next spring unless you apply a pre emergent herbicide. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass.The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. At this point, you might want to try raking it out or hand pulling. Next spring use the pre-emergent to keep your lawn crabgrass free. After you've killed the clover, rake it and the crabgrass out of your lawn. You can then overseed the lawn and mark your calendar to remind you to use a corn gluten meal based pre emergent herbicide next spring. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"