boxwood - Knowledgebase Question

Woodinville, Wa
Question by christinajen
I have a large boxwood that is extremely misshaped. When it snowed a few years ago the weight pushed all the branches outward leaving it bare in the middle. Can I cut my plant all the way down and if so will this fill in the middle? Or am I looking at buying new boxwood's? Thank-you for your advice!

0

Boxwoods usually respond well to pruning so I think you can rehabilitate your boxwood. However, since pruning encourages new growth and we're at the end of the growing season this year, you'll want to wait until next spring to do your pruning. If you prune now, any new growth will be susceptible to winter dieback because it won't have ample time to harden off before our first frost. Wait until spring and then give your boxwood and all-over haircut, removing about one third of the live plant material. When it fills out over the spring and summer months, you can give it another shearing around the first of August. Don't do any more pruning until the following spring. With annual pruning your shrub will eventually take on a more attractive appearance. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"