Mushrooms in grass - Knowledgebase Question

Hilo, Ha
Question by curtiskeil
I live in Hilo on the Island of Hawaii. I planted grass in front of my condo. This area was gravel prior to the grass. The grass looks great after cutting, but small mushrooms come up shortly after every cutting. The mushrooms covering the grass completely. LOOK REALLY BAD!!! Normal rain fall is 80

0

The mushrooms are growing because of decomposing organic matter at or below the root level of your grass. This might be a thick layer of thatch (decomposing stolons and rhizomes), compost in the soil, or even poor drainage causing the roots of the grass to die out and decompose. Since you planted over what was a gravel area, the drainage should be fine - unless it was a high traffic area or a place where vehicles drove or parked. If so, the soil beneath the lawn may be compacted and not draining well. You can try dethatching your lawn if the thatch layer is over an inch thick, or aerating your lawn to loosen the compaction and help it drain faster. While you cannot control the rain, you can control how often you water your lawn. In general, one inch of water (or rainfall) per week is enough to keep a lawn lush and green. If you're watering more often than once every 4-5 days during the summer months, you're overwatering. Aside from decomposing organic matter or soggy soil conditions, there's really no reason for mushrooms to pop up. Try fixing these problems and you should see a decline in the mushroom growth.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"