Bouganvilla - Knowledgebase Question

Ft. Worth, Te
Question by BGrayson28
I have a bouganvilla that was bought in Corpus Christi, TX, 20 years ago. It is in large pot--I put it outside in summertime. I usually prune it when it comes back outside. My problem is it never blooms now. Am I pruning it at the wrong time or what? Thank you for your information. Betty Grayson

0

Pruning should encourage new growth and since bougainvillea blooms on new growth, it should help with the blooming. If it is reluctant to bloom it may not be getting enough sunshine or getting too much fertilizer. In general, bougainvilleas bloom on about a 6 week cycle. They grow, bloom, rest then grow and bloom some more. Since pruning forces new growth, sometimes you can force it to skip a resting period by pruning it right after the flowers fade. I'd continue to prune it as soon as you take it outdoors. Just hold off on fertilizer and make sure it's getting at least 4 hours of direct sunshine each day. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"