Fig tree, hollybush, sweet pea, cotton plant - Knowledgebase Question

Milford, Ma
Question by subridolfi3
1. My fig tree has outgrown its pot. Should i transplant it now? Can it be pruned now? It still has about 30 figs on it, not yet ripe. What to do?
2. My holly bushes are loaded with berries. Is it too early to cut for Christmas decorations? Will they last on the plant till mid-Novenber?
3. I want to move my sweetpea plant. What about the seed pods?
4.Grew successfully.where are seeds to save?

0

Wait until your fig tree goes into dormancy this winter before transplanting it. By then the fig will have ripened and been harvested. Wait until next spring to do any pruning. You can cut the branches of your holly tree after the first frost of the season. If you prune them off now and the weather is still warm, your holly might respond by developing new growth. Any new growth it develops now will not have time to harden off before winter and will be killed back. And, any branches you cut now will shrivel and die before the holidays. Leave them on the tree for now and do your trimming in mid-November. The berries will last until the birds eat them this winter or when the new growth begins next spring so there's no rush in harvesting the branches. You can move your sweetpea plant this fall or early next spring. Seedpods will be long and green and look like pea pods. When they turn from green to a tannish brown and you can see plump seeds inside the seed pods, you can harvest and save them for planting next year. The pods will begin to split open when the seeds are ripe. When that happens you can harvest the pods, remove the round seeds and place them in an airtight container for planting next spring. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"