holes in my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

woodstock, Ne
Question by rt3racing
i have small holes dug into my lawn - might this be caused by moels or schrews - how do i solve this problem

0

Raccoons can dig small holes in lawns when they are looking for grubs. If the holes are shallow (only a few inches deep), the culprits are probably raccoons or squirrels. If the holes are deep, moles or shrews might be nesting underground. Try probing the holes with a stick. If they are deep, you may want to set traps to control the critters. Shrews can be caught with mousetraps but moles are larger and you'll need to set mole traps to catch them. Scissors-type traps are the most efficient at trapping moles and they'll need to be set underground, in one of the main runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you?ll reduce the population of the creatures. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles from the landscape.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"