pruning - Knowledgebase Question

parker, Co
Question by dcpc143_50
Should we cut the lower branches of a young maple tree and should we prune the branches of a fast growing to one side crabapple tree. They are both 4 years old.It is a Robinson crabapple?

Also, why did my Florabunda which had lots of roses in the early part of the summer but after I cut the old roses off it never bloomed again. Looks healthy and is continuing to grow.

0

You can prune your maple tree to remove the lower branches if they are in the way. If not, just leave them alone and your tree will have a character all its own. I'd wait until winter or early spring to prune the maple and the crabapple. Pruning encourages new growth which may not have enough time to harden off before cold weather arrives. If the new growth freezes before it hardens off it will die back and you'll have to prune the dead branches off in the spring. So, wait late winter when the trees are dormant, or early spring just as new growth begins to prune your trees. You can certainly thin out the once side of your crabapple tree to make it look more symmetrical. Floribunda roses should bloom off and on all summer long.

Floribunda roses bloom best on the current season's growth. Prune hard (? to 2/3 the plant's height) in the spring and remove old woody stems. Leave 3-5 healthy canes evenly spaced around the plant. Cut them at various lengths from 18 - 24 inches, to encourage continuous blooming.

Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"