tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Vacaville, Ca
Question by owum
I planted 3 tomato plants this year (May) and only 1 survived. Right before Labor Day there were 3 almost ripe tomatoes, but I left them on the plant. The day after Labor Day all 3 were gone. My housemate said there's a fox and the tomatoes were eaten by the fox. Now I have several green tomatoes on the plant but the weather is considerably cooler...will they ripen or should I just forget it?

0

I think there's still enough summer left for the green tomatoes to ripen. You can try to protect them from critters by covering each with a section of pantyhose or other stretchy material. Just pull it over the tomato and secure both the top and the bottom with a twist tie or rubber band. As the tomato expands the pantyhose will, too. Any critter that approaches the tomato won't recognize it as something edible and will leave it alone. Hope you finally get a harvest!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"