white flies - Knowledgebase Question

portcharlotte, Fl
Question by delcinabyrd
i have white flies on my shrubs,the leaves are turning black,what can i do to get rid of these pest,please help me.delcina.

0

The black substance on the leaves is probably sooty mold which is the by-product of insect feeding. When they suck the fluids from the tissues of the leaves the insect excrete a sticky substance called honeydew. As this substance ages it turns black. Once you control the insects, the sooty mold will weather away. Whiteflies are a challenge to control but if you keep at it, you'll eventually get rid of the pests. Control methods include yellow sticky traps - basically cardboard painted bright yellow and coated with mineral oil or petroleum jelly, and suspended near the tops of plants. Insecticidal soaps work well against white flies, too. Just be sure to spray both top and undersides of leaves, and spray in the early morning hours when the whiteflies are resting on the leaves. Otherwise they will simply fly away. Insecticidal soaps can cause burning of leaves if applied during hot weather, so use caution.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"