watering new plants - Knowledgebase Question

Tucson, Ar
Question by cdhardy
I just planted a dwarf oleander and a mexican bird of paradise (1-gallon size) plant and would like to know how often I should water them for the first 4-6 weeks. The daily temps are still in the 100's here in Tucson.

0

One-gallon size or newly transplanted shrubs may need twice a week watering until they are established - usually 3-4 weeks. It's important to water slowly, deeply, and infrequently so that salts in the water don't accumulate around the roots of the plants and water seeps out to where the new roots are growing. If you have a drip system, I suggest that you set your timer from 1-3 hours--you'll need to check how deep the water penetrates for an accurate setting. You'll want the water to penetrate the soil 18=24 inches. I hope this information helps you. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"