Sago Palm - Knowledgebase Question

Fleming Island, Fl
Question by ymotekew2
We have several Sago Palms. They are planted side by side. The one in the center, the smallest, sprung new fronds, but they never developed. What should we do with these fronds. Should we leave them alone, or remove them. We hope we are not in danger of losing this plant. It has been extremely hot here this summer. Also when and what type of fertilizer should we apply?

0

Sago palms like the heat so I don't think that is what has retarded the unfurling of the fronds. Since sago palms are slow growing, they may simply be working as quickly as they can but might be stressed from something cultural or environmental. I'd continue to give all the sagos good care and feed them lightly with a 5-5-5 or similar fertilizer. If the unfurled fronds turn brown, you can prune them off but as long as they are green, even though they are still curled up, they are helping to feed the roots of your plant. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"