St. Aug. Bare Spot in Heavy Shade - Austin TX - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by elfanucchi
Skip,
I have a type of St. Aug. lawn and heavy shade spots are bare.
Trim of my Neighbors trees is not practical.
Please recomend a type of seed or sod to mix with existing grass.
Also advise on best planting of such ...
Regards,
EL

0

Yours is a difficult situation - most turfgrasses won't grow well in heavy shade, even the most shade tolerant St. Augustine. But, if you'd rather plant grass than a groundcover, go with Raleigh. It is a cold and shade tolerant St. Augustine and while the color is a little darker than common St. Augustine, it should blend in well with your current turf. Seeds are not available but you can purchase a sheet or two of sod and cut it into pieces to place in the bare areas. It will eventually spread. As with any turf, prepare the soil prior to installation by digging or tilling the site to loosen the soil, mix in some compost to help the soil drain well, then level the area and install the sod (or plugs). Be sure to water frequently the first 10-14 days to make sure the roots knit into the soil. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"