Miniature Roses/winterizing - Knowledgebase Question

South Kent, Co
Question by lynstir31
I inherited 3 healthy mini roses. They did great this summer. I live in CT. What is the proper way to store them over the winter? Inside? Basement? Outside?
Thank you!

0

Miniature roses are reasonably hardy if you decide leave them outdoors during the winter months. If they are in pots, dig a hole in the garden and bury the pots (the soil will help insulate the roots). Then after the first frost kills the foliage, remove the leaves and mound soil over the entire plant. Or, make cylinders out of chicken wire to place over the plants and fill the cylinders with shredded leaves, pine needles or straw to protect the branches. If you'd rather take them indoors you can grow them in a sunny spot indoors or place them in a cold (but above freezing) basement. If you decide to overwinter them in a basement, allow them to experience the first freeze of the season outdoors. This will signal the plants that it's time to go into dormancy. Then take them into the basement and set them in an area that is dark and cool. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"