white bird of paradise - Knowledgebase Question

davie, Fl
Question by nislady
It became too big for my garden. Cut it down & sprayed roots with Roundup. It still puts out new shoots. How can I kill it permanently?

0

White bird of paradise has a very extensive root system and while an application of Round Up may kill off some of the roots, you'll find many more underground just waiting to sprout. The most permanent solution is to dig out the entire root system. A second approach is to cut off any new sprouts as they appear. If you do this routinely, the roots will eventually expend all their stored energy and will die off. A third approach is to continue cutting the sprouts when they appear and then applying Round Up to the freshly cut stubs. The product will be transported down into the roots and will kill them off. As each root sprouts and is treated with Round Up, it will die out. Since there's no telling just how many roots are underground, this process may take months and months. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"