patches of brown flattened grass - Knowledgebase Question

newtwon, Pe
Question by rscoza7
the drought this summer did a number on my lawn (kentucky blue) when will I know if the patched are dead or dormant (20% of back yard). I noticed that other lawns in the neighborhood were hit or miss with this problem. If it's dead, what would be the best way to solve the unsightly problem? Dealing with each patch would be too labor intensive.

0

It's likely the lawn will green up on its own this fall when rainfall is abundant. If you still have dead spots, rake them each to roughen up the soil surface and then overseed. Raking will give the seeds a place to rest and when they germinate the roots can penetrate into the loosened soil. If you don't rake the dead spots prior to overseeding, the chances are that the germination rate will be low and the spots will take longer to fill in and green up. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"