overwintering strawberries in a planter - Knowledgebase Question

Allston, Ma
Question by Bettyboophum
This year, because of space limitations, I planted 4 strawberry plants in a planter. I have 4 daughter plants which I have trained into another planter. How can I overwinter these plants. Currently they live on a front open deck, but I do have an enclosed, but not heated back porch. Can I put the plants there and re-pot in the spring? Any other suggestions? thanks

0

After they experience the first frost of the season your strawberry plants will go into dormancy. Once the leaves turn crispy you can prune them off the plants and then move the planter into your unheated porch. The plants can stand cold weather but since the roots are above ground, there won't be enough insulation from the planter to keep them healthy if you leave it outdoors. But, moving the planter into the unheated porch should provide enough winter protection. If you'd rather store them bare root instead of in the planter, wait until they experience a frost which will signal them to go into dormancy. Then prune off the dead leaves and dig the crowns of your strawberry plants with the roots attached. Brush off excess soil and either set them in dry peatmoss or roll them up in dry newspapers and set them in your unheated porch. They should be fine until next spring. Good luck with your plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"