Pavers Laid on Top of Cement - Knowledgebase Question

Columbia, So
Question by galesboland
I would like to lay pavers on top of my existing cement patio. I was going to lay the pavers then sweep sand on top in all the cracks, but I am not sure if that is a great idea! Can you please advise. Thank you.

0

There are a couple of ways to lay pavers on top of a concrete patio but your idea won't really work. Although the concrete may look level, it probably has some low spots. If you set bricks directly on an uneven surface they will wobble when you walk on them and might even be a tripping hazard. The better approach is to lay at least a half inch of sand on top of the concrete (an inch of sand is even better) and then set the pavers on the sand. Use a level to make sure each row is level. You can push the pavers into the sand to level them. For a more permanent job, use mortar and actually set the pavers in mortar. Here's how: Clean the concrete by mixing a solution of 1 cup dish detergent to 1 gallon of water. Apply the solution to the surface of the slab and scrub thoroughly. Rinse it thoroughly with a hose. Follow up with a concrete cleaner, following the manufacturer's directions on the back of the container. Use this to clean and etch the surface of your concrete. Prepare your mortar or thin set according to package directions. Lay a thick layer of mortar down onto the prepared concrete surface. The layer should be from 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Lay your paving stones down on top of this layer of mortar, spacing them no further than 1/2 inch apart. Wait 48 hours and then fill in the gaps between the stones with additional mortar, wiping up excess with a damp cloth. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"