peach trees in the winter - Knowledgebase Question

Poughkeepsie, Ne
Question by marchaymon
I have several peach trees in my yard. what is need to protect them during the winter.

0

Peach trees are relatively hardy in your gardening region. Icy winter winds can dessicate tender young branches, though, and winter sunshine can cause the bark to crack. Depending upon the sizes of your trees, you might place a cylinder made of chicken wire or hardware cloth around the tree and fill the cylinder with insulating material (shredded leaves, or other light and fluffy organic material). This will keep the wind from dessicating the tree and the winter sun from cracking the bark of the tree. If the trees are too large for this type of protection they are probably old enough to endure the winter weather. You can apply a protective trunk wrap (available in garden centers) to keep the trunk from developing cracks. Best wishes with your little peach tree!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"