Best time to seed my brown lawn? - Knowledgebase Question

Poughkeepsie, Ne
Question by marchaymon
Bought a house in Hudson Valley (NY) and have lots of brown spots and very uneven ground. Lumps of grass, indentations, lumps of grass.... grubs??? If so, can I treat them now?

0

Grubs overwinter deep down in the soil and surface in about mid-summer. They feed on the roots of the grass, which kills the grass. If you can lift the turf in the brown areas and there are no roots, grubs are the likely culprits. If so, apply a grub control product such as Grubex or Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub control next spring or early next summer. The lumps can simply be a different turf type that grows faster than the rest of your lawn. You can even out the lawn by spreading up to an inch of top soil over the entire lawn. Allow the grass to grow through it and then add more topsoil if needed to even everything out. You can overseed your entire lawn in September or October. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"