Wisteria not blooming - Knowledgebase Question

Trenton, Ne
Question by lpmsem
I planted a wisteria about 5 years ago. It has grown very nicely. I keep it trimmed back to about 4 ft in diameter. However, it has never bloomed. I was told last year to cut it back to nothing in november, and it would shock it into blooming. It grew back beautifully, but NO FLOWERS. Please help, I would like to know what I need to do to get it to bloom?

0

You probably don't want to hear this but wisteria can take up to 7 years to establish well and bloom. Pruning it back hard is one way to shock it into blooming; doing some root pruning is another way. Just sink the blade of your shovel into the ground all around the plant to sever some of the feeder roots. This is often enough to stress it enough to develop flowers. If root pruning doesn't work, you'll just have to wait another two years for those flowers to appear. Best wishes with your wisteria!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"