drip irrigation - Knowledgebase Question

Demarest, Ne
Avatar for jesserosenbe
Question by jesserosenbe
September 19, 2010
How do I set up a drip irrigation system?

Answer from NGA
September 19, 2010
Drip systems are easy to install. You'll find components at your local Home Depot, along with planning brochures that include a grid so you can draw out the area and determine just which kinds of emitters you'll need for your plants. The brochures will guide you through the planning and installation process.

What you will need are the following components for your system: Backflow preventer - or anti-siphon device, which is required to prevent water from the system re-entering your water supply when the system is turned off. Pressure regulator - or pressure reducer. The typical home water supply has too much pressure. If the pressure is over 50 psi, you will need a pressure regulator. Hose fitting - connects the tubing to the pressure regulator. Tubing - 1/2, 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, or .710 depending on the needs and manufacturer. Used for the main supply line and smaller lines for individual plants and containers. Tubing is usually made from black polyethylene. The smaller "microtubes" can be used in tight spaces and are easily disguised. Fittings - Straight - used to connect one section of tubing to another Elbow - to allow right angle turns Tee - fittings are used to split the direction End fitting/figure eight - closes the system at the end of the line Emitters - available with different flow rates to accommodate the needs of the plant. Located at soil level or elevated on stakes or risers. There are several types, choose based on where you want the water to go. All are rated by their GPH delivery. Bubblers - often used for trees and shrubs - deliver more water in less time Dripper - slow, low quantity delivery right at the root system. Mister - provides humidity Hole punch - used to make insertion points in the tubing where emitter are located Goof plugs - securely stop up the hole you punched by mistake (or allow you to move an emitter without replacing the tubing) Barbed Adapter - used to connect tubing and emitters Riser - allows emitters to be placed above the plants Stakes - secure with stakes to elevate ? prevent clogging by soil or bugs. Hope this information helps you design an efficient drip system for your landscape.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by dormantsrule and is called "Spring"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.